A historic photo of the St Matthew's Church and Cemetery
The old church which was to be a historical site as the oldest Lutheran Church west of Winnipeg, burnt to the ground on November 29th, 1963. The metal cross at the top of the steeple somehow managed to be undamaged by the massive fire and was found on the ground the next day.
The cemetery has joint use between St. Matthew's Lutheran ELCIC, Spruce Grove and Good Shepherd Lutheran ELCIC, Stony Plain. At the time of Good Shepherd forming in 1938, many of the forming members, were members at St. Matthew's prior and had already family buried at this cemetery.
Looking East across the cemetery.
In St Matthew's Cemetery new plots are provided with a concrete foundation for monuments.