St Matthew's & Good Shepherd
Lutheran Church Cemetery
- Interment Bylaws -
1. Cemetery Committee: Duties and Powers
- The cemetery of St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Spruce Grove shall be the responsibility of the Cemetery Committee. The Cemetery Committee shall consist of a minimum of six members. Three members shall be appointed annually by each of the Church Councils of St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Spruce Grove and Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd, Stony Plain from the roll of active members of the congregations.
- The Cemetery Committee shall keep in a permanent book of records the names and location of all graves.
- The Cemetery Committee shall appoint from its membership a treasurer who shall submit a financial statement of receipts, expenditures and investments to the annual meetings of the respective congregations.
- The opening and closing fees must be charged according to the season and current labour costs, and are the cost to plot owner. The funeral home aids in finding operators.
- The Cemetery Committee shall be empowered to engage a caretaker of the grounds at a salary commensurate with the work expected of him.
- The Cemetery Committee shall comply with government licensing laws.
2. Member Definition
- For the purposes of the By-law, "Member" means a person who is named on a list submitted annually by St. Matthew's or Good Shepherd. These lists are available to see.
3. Plot Reservations and Fees
- An active member wishing to purchase a prepaid lot may do so with the understanding that they must remain an active member to retain the plot. Bylaw Change 2008 - Cemetery Committee recommends that no more prepaid plots be presold, as members are always sold plots at member costs, therefore no need to have a prepaid lot status.
- Once a member is buried in the cemetery, then adjoining plots may be reserved in perpetuity for the surviving family member upon the payment of a reservation fee of $200.00 for each plot.
- In spite of paragraph 3(b), where a member who is or has a minor child buried in the cemetery, the parents of the child, and only the parents of the child, may reserve contiguous plots upon payment of a reservation fee of $200.00.
- The reservation fee is nonrefundable and at the time the plot is used, will be applied to the cost of the plot.
- Where a reservation fee has been paid, but not applied to the plot within (25) twenty-five years, after a family member has been buried in the adjoining plot the reservation will be cancelled unless the reservation is renewed for another 25 years. Renewing the reservation would not incur an additional fee.
4. Plot Location
- Since a specific plot can only be allocated upon a family member being buried and the contiguous plots reserved for the surviving member, the location of a plot in every other case shall be at the sole discretion of the Cemetery Committee or its delegate.
5. Non-Member fees
- Anyone other than a Member, the spouse of a Member or the minor child of a Member may be buried in the cemetery upon payment of a fee of $1600.00 paid at the time of burial.
- The following fees apply with respect to the cremation of anyone other than a Member, the spouse of a Member or the minor child of a Member.
- cremation section plot - $1600.00
- cremation on occupied plot - $650.00
- The remains of no more than 2 (two) persons may be placed in one plot.
7. Church Facilities
- Permission to use the Cemetery does not include the use of any facility of either church. Separate permission must be obtained with respect to church facilities.
8. Markers, Cover, Monuments and Vaults
- Markers, stones and monuments may be placed at the head of the grave only as directed by, and under the supervision of, the Committee or its designate.
- Family members are responsible for their grave markers solely. There is possibility of insurance on owners home policy.
- No grave covers or enclosures shall be erected on or around the grave.
- The use of concrete vaults is mandatory.
9. Extraordinary Cases
- Cases which are not covered by these by-laws or which require an exception to be made to these by-laws must be approved by the Councils of both Churches.
This information is subject to change.
Click the Home link
to go back to the St Matthew's Cemetery Home Page.
You may use the Cemetery link
to view a map of the cemetery and search the current interments in the cemetery.
If you have any further questions or comments on our website, please use the Contact link
to contact the cemetery caretaker.